How to Choose the Right Shredding Service for Your Business
There’s no question that shredding is the best method for destroying sensitive documents and information that is no longer needed, in a sustainable manner.
At first glance, do-it-yourself shredding (or using an in-house shredding machine) can seem like the most cost-effective, efficient option. However, when you look more closely, you’ll see that do-it-yourself shredding has unforeseen costs that can add up very quickly, such as:
- Operational costs. Beyond the upfront cost of purchasing your own shredding machine, there are ongoing maintenance fees that must be considered, including labour, materials and emergency costs if the machine malfunctions.
- Time and employee productivity. Every minute an employee spends working the shredding machine is a minute away from his or her regular responsibilities.
- Greater security risks. Inexpensive in-house shredders typically produce paper strips that can be reconstructed, which puts your business at risk. Not only do in-house shredders make your business more vulnerable to hackers looking to reassemble shredded documents, there is also a higher likelihood of employee error. Human error by employees is often cited in research as the main cause for breaches. It is important to ensure that employees are properly trained on handling confidential information, keeping a chain of custody and ultimately ensuring compliance with relevant privacy laws, such as APP 11 of the Australian Privacy Principles.
Overall, it’s best to trust professionals to properly dispose of sensitive, confidential documents. Professional document shredding
has become the unofficial industry standard for safely destroying confidential data. If you are considering evaluating a professional document shredding partner, here are three questions to ask:
1. Who should we trust to dispose of our confidential data properly?
It’s essential to work with a partner that has the credentials, experience and expertise to take care of your data. They should be qualified and certified to ensure document security is front of mind throughout their processes.
A professional shredding partner should also provide a Certificate of Destruction after every shred. Beyond peace of mind, a Certificate of Destruction is proof that your information is no longer at risk and that your organisation is compliant with relevant privacy laws
2. How often does our organisation require a professional shredding service?
Many organisations find that a regularly scheduled monthly shredding service is the best way to ensure they’re protected every day. The benefits include secure, locked consoles in your office, regularly scheduled pick-ups, and a Certificate of Destruction after every service.
Shred-it Australia’s services are customisable, ensuring document destruction is tailored to an organisation’s unique document management requirements.
3. Do we have hard drives and other media (USBs, etc.) for destruction?
Many old hard drives contain confidential and easily recoverable information. If your organisation’s hard drive disposal process involves erasing or wiping old hard drives, employee and customer information may still be vulnerable. Choosing a partner that provides a secure chain of custody at every touchpoint, allows for flexibility in terms of frequency, and that provides assurances that hard drives have been destroyed allow you to have peace-of-mind while focusing on what really matters, your business.
Shred-it's destruction machines are specifically designed to destroy your hard drives so that data can never be retrieved or reconstructed. Shred-it also provides a Certificate of Destruction following every hard drive destruction service.
Beyond these questions, think of the values you want to see reflected in the service provider you see yourself partnering with. Whether it’s supporting more sustainable business practices or giving back to the community you serve, the partner you choose should have values that match your culture.
At Shred-it, environmental sustainability is important to us. In 2019, Shred-it securely destroyed and safely recycled 1.5 billion pounds of paper, globally, reducing the amount of waste sent to landfills.
Ready to take the step toward protecting your information?
Start by contacting us for a free quote or to learn more about how Shred-it can protect your documents. You can also try Shred-it’s new Risk Assessment Tool to identify and address security risks facing your organisation.
This article is provided for your convenience and does not constitute legal advice. Readers should not take, or refrain from taking, actions based upon the content of this article. Prior results do not guarantee similar outcomes. Please seek professional legal advice.